Sunday, February 9, 2014

brendan behan's birthday


I was reminded of the Irish poet and storyteller, today's birthday boy, Brendan Behan last week while reading my grandfather's census reports.  Beginning with the 1930 census when asked, grandfather wrote that he was born in the Irish Free State, which in fact wasn't true as it didn't exist while he lived in Ireland, but it did announce to the world that he wasn't from the hated British section of the country.  Behan, born on this day in 1923 saw himself as an republican, and IRA fighter, a rable rouser.  Later he became more famous for his wit and love of drink than his writing, which eventually became self parodying.  He was a funny guy however.  Today I'll share several of his more famous quips.

“It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody.”     The world is a better place for that

“I am a drinker with writing problems.” 

“I saw a sign that said 'Drink Canada Dry'. So I did.” 

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how its done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves. 

All publicity is good, except an obituary notice. 

What the hell difference does it make, left or right? There were good men lost on both sides.” 


Éirinn go Brách

Toad




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drink Canada Dry!

I like your grandfather's census-remark spirit!

My grandmother's mother had a fierce independence, we didn't know she was on an ocean voyage during her late pregnancy until viewing my grandmother's census entry under Place of Birth: "on the Atlantic Ocean."

Cheers!

-Flo

Patsy said...

My grandfather was famous for being in the IRA, his wit and his love of drink too!

But only to his family.

Anonymous said...

The IRA stunk and stink.

Anglo-Irishman here.