Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What's on your Kindle?

My bride is not much of reader.  That's led to some curious conversations, especially the one where she knew the title character of a book I was reading (An Infinity of Little Hours by Nancy Maguire).  Mrs. Maguire is the DIL of one of Mrs. T's grandmothers BFF's.  We didn't know that at the time.

Lately, I've been getting the business for leaving half finished books lying about.  I'm currently reading four, 2 seasonal ( Washington Irving- Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Rip Van Winkle etc. and Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne), 1 stylebook (The Elements of Style edited by E.B. White) which was a high school textbook. I consider myself a fair/good editor (when I take the time) but at best a so-so conveyor of thought to text. The gift of clear, concise writing is a skill I hope for in my next life. Until then I'm dependent upon professional guides.

Finally, I've just begun The Etymologicon: a circular stroll through the hidden connections of the English Language by Mark Forsyth.  Mr. Forsyth is an Englishman with a taste for obscure words.  That most likely qualifies him as an eccentric.  I met up with him in the Guardian where he had written about the top 10 lost words. Who knew that Sprunt (an old Scottish word) means to chase girls around haystacks after dark? His new book The Horologicon will soon be available in the US.

 While I've just began The Etymologicon, I can tell it will keep me up reading past my bedtime. The Inky Fool is Marks delicious blog.  I'm in need of 30 hour days, less sleep or long patches of dreary weather.

Toad

No comments: