Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dave Brubeck- Cool Guy


Today we honor the 91st birthday of living national treasure, cool guy, jazz pianist and composer Dave Brubeck.

Dave along with composing and playing partner Paul Desmond were founders of what became known as the "West Coast" jazz sound noted for its more relaxed tempo than pre war jazz.


There wasn't much music at home while I was growing up but on weekends if the old folks went to bed early I could often find Brubeck and Desmond playing on Playboy's Penthouse, a pre cable talk/musical variety show hosted by Hugh Hefner, set on a stage meant to mimic Hefner's Chicago apartment. Pretty salacious for the early 1960's. Youthful eyes could often glimpse a "bunny" without resorting to stealing a copy of the mag.



Happy Birthday Dave.

toad


6 comments:

Main Line Sportsman said...

Yes Sir..One of the best....

Yankee-Whisky-Papa said...

My father went to see him play when he was in college, and the vinyl was playing daily in our house. I first learned the pleasures of counting odd time signatures from thos records. Check out "Elementals"... it's the best jazz/classical blend that exists.

JMW said...

I always listen to my Dave Brubeck CD when I'm cooking in the kitchen. Love that sound. :)

Ann said...

My dear departed pappy, frustrated jazz drummer and alcoholic, loved Brubeck. Growing up, I remember Dad pulling out his brushes and playing along on the marble-top coffee table in the living room, where his Hi-Fi (off-limits on pain of a switchin') lived.

He used to sit with me listening to jazz of all kinds and teaching me to identify the different instruments being played on the records. He had quite a collection.

Years later a therapist asked me to identify three positive things Dad had given me. My answer?..Love of music, love of music, love of music. :)

Thanks for the memories, Toad and Happy Birthday Dave!

sushisistah said...

One day late but never diminished...
Brubeck added magic to my life in high school circa 1970's. Still a favorite. Wonderful tribute. I'll post to FB for all of my High School Music Buddies. Thanks Toad.

Pink Benny said...

"Take 5" has become such a musical classic....but according to an interview many years ago, it was supposed to be a minor piece to allow a memorable drum solo. Well......the drum does sound good in the middle......but the rest of it rocks as well. Happy Birthday, cool daddy.