Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or Treat......again



Something in my Celtic DNA makes me love this love the Halloween season. I wait all year for this. It's my super bowl, my world series, my St. Patricks Day, my best month of all.

For me, Halloween season runs from the week proceeding All Hallows Eve until the Monday after Thanksgiving. It includes Halloween prep, The Day of the Dead, Election Day, Katy Day, all the exciting Thanksgiving prepartions, the big day and let down afterwards after everyone returns to school or home. The rest of the year is just the waiting for this time of year.



Not that I particularly do anything special, but I do have my routines.. I reread Washington Irving's stories, epecially Rip Van Winkle and the Legend of Sleep Hollow. Build a scarecrow at the foot of the drive, watch Sleepy Hollow for the hundreth time, chop firewood, and prepare for my annual argument with Mrs. T about how much trick or treat candy we should have on hand.

This is our only major argument throughout the year. 5+ lbs each of Snickers, Butterfingers and Baby Ruths seem appropriate to me. Mrs. T sees the world through very dark glasses and believes we really don't need any. This is from a woman who lives for Christmas, go figure.

Just becasuse the grandkids are out of town this year, and we have never had a trick or treater, nor are we ever likely to, she feels we can do without. Bunkum.

There is something fundamentally right about both hard and sweet apple cider, candy apples, harvest festivals, jack-o-lanterns, fall leaves, dove hunts, wood fires, and all fall activities.

Bit of Halloween trivia. Who besides Mom on the Run knows that it was on Halloween, 1517, that Martin Luther nailed the 95 thesis to the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg Germany, beginning the Protestant Reformation?

Be safe and have fun. What kinds of fun stuff do they do in your neighborhood, maybe I'm missing out on something good?

Toad

17 comments:

M.Lane said...

I agree completely. My favorite season. I extend it through Christmas too.

And, I'm on your side about the candy!!

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

Martha said...

All good Lutherans know!!!

There is nothing better than a Halloween candy bar stolen from the trick or treaters stash!!! We always make sure that we have one every year -- it's as much a tradition as the Halloween chili!

James said...

Bless you Toad. I love Fall as well for all you said and more. I did not know that about Marten Luther!

preppyplayer said...

Autumn is crisp, sweet, and handsome- just as I like my men!
Really- as I like my man. And favorite bloggers!
Happy Halloween!

Shelley said...

Gosh, I wish I had a smidgeon of your Halloween enthusiasm! I bought pumpkins yesterday in preparation for Thanksgiving and just put them in the kitchen window and front porch for decoration...no scarecrow, cider, etc., etc. Perhaps I should re-think my autumn traditions... Happy Halloween!

Town and Country House said...

Presbyterians know that today is Reformation Sunday, too. Episcopalians, meanwhile, honor the saints in their service. I'm a bit of a spiritual mutt, I suppose.

Silk Regimental said...

From the History Channel - I found it interesting that there was a bloke named Jack OLantern - bad enough that he got kicked out of hell - the devil scooped some of the flames of hell, put it in gourd, and told Jack to hit the road (the gourd lighting his way).

If the History Channel says it -- I tend to believe it.

Happy Halloween Toad!

Deana Sidney said...

Halloween kicks off the holidays, and it brings us back to our youth when we were out there with the costumes and candy. Just for that, I love it... and for Celts, it's Samhain too! Have a good one!

Suburban Princess said...

And it all goes so well with Tweed!

Kim said...

We sang a rousing rendition of "A Mighty Fortress" this morning as our processional hymn. I never miss Reformation Sunday! We'll do All Saints next week.

The Down East Dilettante said...

I bought my candy, on sale, early this year. It was all gone six days ago.

Kindred spirits on this one. Came home from the local orchard this very afternoon with some delicious cider, off to watch Sleepy Hollow.

Mistress Cynica said...

My Celtic relations (who are also New Orleanians) celebrate today as the beginning of Irish Christmas Season, which runs from now through St. Patrick's Day. Ya got Halloween, Day of the Dead, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Three Kings, Carnival season, Mardi Gras, St. Pat's. There no excuse for drawing a sober breath.

Ian from Downunder said...

Greetings from Melbourne Toad,
Kids going out on Halloween is relatively new here but as with many things, we Aussies are quick to embrace many aspects of American culture. Last night we had 3 groups of kids ring our door bell. I'm sure we'll get more callers next year. May you, your family and my fellow blogsters have a happy Thanksgiving. Cheers!

Patsy said...

I grew up in Washington Irving country, no better place to celebrate all that is Halloween and autumn.

Toad said...

Patsy and Mistress C, you win. I'm moving to New Orleans AND Washington Irving country.

old polo said...

Ah, Mr. Toad, if ever in San Antonio I would welcome treating you to a drink or two. two Celts together some trouble could cause!

Toad said...

Old Polo, last I was in SA I was a guest of the USAF fighting the battle of Lackland AFB. that was some years ago. Your offer is accepted, next we meet.