Thursday, December 3, 2009

You cannot be everything you set your mind to!

A final childhood bubble was burst this morning and while it was a cruel, cold blow to face so early in the morning, I think it may impart a lesson, and may perhaps explain much of male nature to our softer, better smelling friends.

American children are taught, by their parents at a young age, and later the lesson is reinforced by the educational system, that with enough diligence a child may grow up to become anything he or she wants. Rich children, having watched mummy and daddy since the cradle, know perfectly well the world is their oyster. This lesson is reinforced continuously.

Smart kids see through the fallacy after a year or two of school. It's plain to them that they are brighter than the other kids, the teachers favor them, and they can out succeed their peers, anytime, any day.

It's the dumb ones, like me, who fall for it every time.

We see it, report card after report card, "not working to his potential". Is that encouraging in any way? Four times a year it's "Give the kid another round of "you can be anything....."

We dumber males take that snippet of parental "you can be anything..", and attempt to make it fit our world view, we enlarge it, expound on it. It becomes no more realistic, but it helps us through the day. No longer is it, you can become President, it's who says I can't date supermodels and actresses. I just need to work a little harder, move a little closer. Models need to date someone, why not me.

And then 50 odd years later the who facade tumbles down. Did you know that pure diligence and desire alone do not make all things possible? Matt Laurer had an interview on the Today show, with my life's most objectified, and second most desired woman, Meredith Baxter Birney. Together they dealt me a blow I may never recover from. I learned boys can't date models and actresses when the girls play for the other team.

I'm so sad.

Toad

11 comments:

M.Lane said...

Oh no. Not MBB!

ML

Anonymous said...

She apparently didn't even know it, until 5 kids and 3 marriages later.
Make that 4 marriages, counting her Keating TV union.
Another day in Hollywood.

Suburban Princess said...

It didn't come as any great surprise to me - but I am sure you can still catch a supermodel :O)

Kathy said...

Maybe if she'd had better taste in men she wouldn't be looking so far afield. Not that there's anything wrong with that. . .

Anonymous said...

MBB?! Really? I thought you had better taste than that.

Toad said...

It's not so much a question of taste as of generation. I came of age in the Farrah, Lauren Hutton, Twiggy era. MBB seemed logical at the time.

Karena said...

I always thought she was an amazing actor. Also beautifully natural. Sometimes we just stuff our feelings down inside to cope, and hope to not injure others with our choices.

Patsy said...

Bridget Loves Bernie no more.

David said...

I was surprised simply because I hadn't heard her name since, what was that show, Family Ties?

I did a little reading and discovered she's never had a publicist. That was shocking to me, as well as impressive.

Toad said...

David: I believe she has her own television network in with John Ritter and Bab's husband. The Lifetime Movie Network. She is on constantly.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. The rich keep getting richer, and lesbians are off limits. Cruel world!