Monday, December 7, 2009

Please Give


Most of us are a comparatively privileged lot. We have jobs, a decent Rolodex, resources. Many do not.

Mrs. T and I work at a food pantry once a week. For years the client count has remained fairly stable. For 2009 that count doubled. In November, it doubled again.

The recent upsurge is directly attributed to a sudden factory closing. In spite of the news, a lot of people are not seeing the end of the recession anytime soon.

Much like the 3 men who accosted Ebenezer Scrooge, I come to you, to ask for your generous contribution for those in need.

Many churches, shopping malls, movie theatres and others have food collection drives this time of year. Please take advantage of them.

The folks in need are your neighbors,most never expected to be in this position, and are grateful for your gifts.

Toad

9 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

Thanks for the reminder! We always donate a lot to the women's shelter in town but I am going to add the food bank to the list!

James said...

Well said.

David said...

It absolutely is a great reminder Toad. And here in KC (and likely most places) it's often as easy as dropping things into the bin on the way out of the grocery store.

Brett's volunteering tomorrow (unless his cold gets worse) at the Johnson County Christmas Bureau.

My office adopts families from a nearby school district every year. I've got the toys for my seven year old boy, with clothes and a coat to get this week. It's literally my favorite thing I do at Christmas.

Toad said...

David: my bride and I are barely English speakers, and the family we "adopted" speaks no English. We have had more fun, non communicating with the parents. It has made our holiday.

Martha said...

We always donate as well -- but it is good to be reminded. And husband Jim's Rotary club does Bikes for Tykes.

Gail, in northern California said...

You're a good man, Toad, to post this gentle reminder.

Patsy said...

I love shopping for my giving tree girls, but it always makes me sad that their parents can't do it. So, I cry a little and give thanks for my extreme good fortune a lot.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Bravo to you Toad and Mrs.T. We often get wrapped up in our busy lives & forget the struggling needs of our local food banks. It seems like the numbers of those in need continues to rise rather than decrease, despite the news reports. We are on pins & needles waiting for the the hammer to come down on my husbands job yet again. It starts to really wear a family down. All the best to T-family this holiday season.

Toad said...

DT: thank you. You've had a tough year. Hopefully, things are on the upswing.